1. Put the dishes in the dishwasher the day you use them instead of letting them pile up. It was annoying when your roommates nagged you, but seriously, do it. You’ll be glad you did when all your friends have roach problems and you’re living the good life.
2. Call your parents at regular intervals. “Hi mom, how are you? Yeah? Yeah. I know. I’ll buy a coat. OK, love you, bye.” That’s all it takes.
3. Read the news every morning. All of the news in the world is on your phone. It is literally in the palm of your hand. Even if you don’t care about world news (Why don’t you though?), you’ll at least be able to sound smart at parties.
4. Make your own coffee at least every other day instead of buying it. Your Starbucks drink is probably around $3.50. That’s $10.50 a week you’re saving. Or $42 a month. Or $546 a year! That’s solid new clothes money.
5. Exercise some amount every day. Get up and go for a brisk walk while you listen to a podcast. Or sign up for some weird yoga/African dance fusion class with your friend after work. Do whatever you want, just do something. You know you feel better when you’re getting exercise.
6. Always bring something to a party. This something is probably a bottle of some sort of alcohol. Or a dessert. Or a pumpkin spice scented candle and matches. Or a fun card game. Bringing literally anything makes you the best (and most grown-up) person at the party.
7. Eat breakfast. I actually never do this, but I’m not 30 yet so I still got time! Here’s my plan, since I’m too lazy to actually allow myself more time in the morning: Get a nice to-go mug for coffee; buy yogurts and granola bars; eat a quick granola bar or yogurt while my coffee brews; pour coffee into the to-go mug; leave for work. There! Breakfast!
8. Make yourself a healthy dinner at least a couple nights a week. It’s so hard to cook for just yourself, but it feels so great when you do. If you don’t feel like dirtying a bunch of dishes you’ll have to wash later, just make yourself a huge salad with a bunch of stuff in it. Healthy meal, one bowl to wash.
9. Find your caffeine cut-off time and stick to it. There is nothing worse than lying awake in bed wishing you had a hamster wheel to burn off all your latent energy and then feeling exhausted the next morning just because you felt like a 5 p.m. coffee.
10. Carry condoms. Yeah, you pay for birth control so guys should shell out for the condoms, but be your own woman. Him not having a condom (or not wanting to wear one) isn’t a good enough reason to be like, “Meh, chlamydia it is!”