An office isn’t where you go with smoky eyes or glistening lips. But it’s also not a place to go looking like you just woke up. Strike the right balance with these office makeup tricks.
Office make-up – to wear or not to wear, that is the question that plagues many of us. Unless you’re one of those who work for a design house or have your own business, or something more casual, chances are the corporate environment frowns down upon too much make-up. But you certainly don’t want to look frumpy or dowdy in a few hours, do you?
Hear us out, while we tell you how to strike the right balance and learn to look stylish at work without piling on too much or too less office make-up.
The online world is filled with dos and don’ts on make-up, but don’t let that worry you. We’ve simplified daily office make-up so it won’t seem like a chore. Whether you’re a newbie or a pro at makeup, these makeup tips are all you need to get the perfect look.
Start with a clean face
- This is a no-brainer. One would assume you’ll start applying make-up after you’re freshly showered
- So your face will be squeaky clean and a ready canvas
- If a lot of time has gone since you showered, splash a little warm water or use a cleanser
- Avoid hot showers as it will leave your skin dry and flaky; not the ideal backdrop for makeup
Use a BB cream
- A BB cream combines all the goodness of a moisturizer, foundation, and sunscreen
- We like using the Olay Total Effects 7 In One Day Cream Touch Of Foundation SPF 15 as it comes in various shades to match your skin tone
- A BB cream will cover all spots and minor blemishes, instantly giving you an even-toned complexion
- Use your fingertips to apply it all over your face and neck. Don’t forget your hairline and pay attention to the ears too
- Once you’re done, pop the little bottle in your purse to take it along for use during the day
Concealer (but do you need it?)
- Women with flawless skin can jump to step #4, but the rest of us unfortunate souls, need to use a concealer to hide those annoying marks that proved too much of a challenge for the BB cream
- As with the cream earlier, use your finger to apply it as the heat from your fingertips helps blend it in beautifully. Alternatively, you can also follow this makeup technique to hide dark circles perfectly.
Time to give your cheeks a rosy flush
- Simple makeup for the office doesn’t mean you keep the blush aside
- The markets are filled with many color options and you can pick something that is neutral and as close to your natural skin tone
- If you want, you can also use your lightest pink lipstick
- The hint of pink will make you look bright and awake
Don’t forget the eyes
- Keep your eye makeup simple yet magical. Line the lower lid with a kajal, preferably in neutral shades of black or grey or brown
- This isn’t the time to get smoky or electric eyes
- Define the upper eyelid with liquid eyeliner (or a gel pencil if you have shaky hands like me)
- Mascara is optional. Make sure you get the waterproof variety
- Not because you cry in office (sheesh!) but because if you step in and out, the change in temperature could make you sweat and ruin the effect
Enhance your lips
Use a lip liner and fill in the lips with a lip gloss. If you absolutely must have color, keep the shade subtle. Fill in the lipstick with a brush to get the perfect finish.
Last few tips on perfecting your makeup for the office:
- Pick the right shades for a professional look
- Use products that are long-lasting. Touch-ups might not be possible during a workday
- The products need to be waterproof and easy to apply
- Choose good quality products and don’t skimp because of the price
- Stay hydrated and also keep your skin hydrated to avoid cracks in the makeup
- Carry blotting tissue with you all the time
Now that you know these techniques, are you ready to rock your workday with some cool makeup?